Saturday, November 16, 2013

The obedience basket

A few months ago the kids were really struggling with obeying mom and dad the first time we asked them to do something.  There was lots of whining and it seemed like they didn't budge until we got angry.  Not a fantastic system.  Husband and I discussed how to fix this.  We had a few Family Home Evening lessons, and we would talk to the girls before bed when we'd had a bad day.  Nothing was really helping.  We decided to try some "positive reinforcement."  I got out a little basket and put it on an easily accessible shelf.  I printed their names on little pieces of paper and those sit next to the basket.  Every time they obey the first time, they get to put their name in the basket.  If they whine and complain when asked to do something, they have to remove one of their names.  When the basket is full, we get to do something fun together as a family.  It took them a while to earn it, but last week we got to go get Frosty's at Wendy's.  Even big brother is starting to obey the first time, which is HUGE!  It's working pretty well.  There is still the occasional whine about doing their chores, getting ready for bed, etc.  But it's a whole lot better than it was, so I'll take it!

No comments: