Monday, November 18, 2013

Big Sister

Big sister is our responsible one.  Always kinda has been.  She loves to hear about how she would sit by herself during Sacrament Meeting when she was 2.  Husband had to pass the sacrament and Mommy played the organ, so our Big Sister would just sit on our bench by herself.  Arms folded, perfectly silent.  The sacrament would be passed to her and she would take it, then fold her arms again and sit quietly until the sacrament was done and mommy and daddy came back to sit with her.  When mommy was pregnant with big brother and again with little brother, she would frequently get herself up and get breakfast for herself and her sibling(s).  Just because she knew how tired and sick mommy felt and she wanted to help.  It's one of my favorite parts of her personality.  She's pretty responsible when it comes to schoolwork.  She doesn't procrastinate when there are big projects due, she gets started right away.  Her problem is then remembering to turn said projects in.  She finishes so much in advance that she forgets about it.  Case in point:  She was assigned to do a project about Juab County.  There were 3 parts to the project, each due on Mondays spanning a 3 week period.  We even went all out, visiting Juab County.  Ok, that wasn't specifically for her project, just a happy coincidence that we were heading to Little Sahara anyway.  We got maps and brochures and took pictures for the poster.  Anyway.  First she had to do a planning sheet.  She did it the day the project was assigned.  Then she didn't turn it in a week later on Monday when it was due.  .  The following Monday, her 5 paragraph essay was due.  She had written it, but forgot to print it and turn it in.  It was at this point that I looked at her requirements and realized she'd never turned in the planning sheet.  Then she was sick for 2 days, so those two parts were really late.  And when she went back to school after being sick, she forgot to put the essay in her backpack after she printed it.  I finally  just emailed it to her teacher.  Her poster was due today.  I got the poster for her on Friday and she put it together.  No night-before surprises here, which I know is a common complaint with kids.  They come to you the night before and tell you this massive project is due the next day.  Nope, our problem is that Big Sister forgets about it once she's done it.  I had her put the poster on top of her backpack so that she'd remember it this morning.  When the carpool got here, she moved the poster, grabbed her backpack, and left.  Leaving the poster.  *sigh*  When I came in from getting the paper and saw that she'd forgotten it, I almost laughed.  She works so hard, only to forget to take it to school.  I drove her poster over and had the office call her down so I could give it to her.  Funny girl.

No comments: