Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The costumes

Little sister was Sleeping Beauty.  She went back and forth between several different options, but finally decided on this.  She looked beautiful, of course!  She wanted makeup, so I just did blush and mascara.  Yikes!  I forget how long her eyelashes are until I enhance them.  Seriously in so much trouble with this one.

 She kept half blinking in the pictures at home, but the one from the parade was better.  I love that all the teachers and staff from the kids school dressed up as minions.  Hilarious.  I got to go help with the party in the afternoon.  Unfortunately, little sister gets very overwhelmed in party situations.  We offered to do a big birthday party this year and all she wanted was her one bestest friend.  She also scares easily.  When I got there, she had that look of I'm-about-to-lose-it.  I told her to use the bathroom, 'cuz most of the time when she gets emotional that's the problem.  She still has trouble recognizing that one sometimes.  The bathroom helped, but not quite enough.  I was supposed to read to the kids while they had their cookies and juice.  Little sister didn't want to leave when it was time to rotate to the next station, so I let her stay.  I finally asked what was wrong and got the response I expected - she dissolved.  I helped her breathe and calm down, but she was definitely not leaving my side.  Her sweet teacher came by and offered to take her around to the other games, but she wouldn't budge.  She came back a few minutes later and offered to just take her to get the prizes so she wouldn't miss out.  It took a bit of coaxing, but she finally relented to do that much.  Then right back to mommy.  I am so glad she has an understanding and sensitive teacher.  I later found out that she'd been scared by some bigger kids at recess, and that someone had stolen the spider ring that the lunch ladies gave her.  That on top of the fact that crowds and noise in general are too much, she'd kind of had a rough day. Fortunately, by the end, she was okay and said she really did have fun.  She gave her teacher a big hug and said thank you very sincerely when it was time to go home.  She does recognize her limits, and won't push herself beyond them.  When we went trick-or-treating, there were several houses with more spooky decorations that she just stood on the sidewalk and said "Nope.  That one's too scary."  Candy was not enough of a motivator to get her to those doors, and I'm not going to force her.  She told me later she just knows she doesn't like to be scared.  Which I get, 'cuz I'm the same way!
 Big sister wanted to be Black Widow from the Avengers.  She was concerned about cutting her hair, so I showed her one clip of Black Widow from Iron Man 2, with the long curly red hair.  Silly girl.  I wouldn't have let her cut her hair just for Halloween anyway!  There's a spot on the leg where you can put a gun, we opted to not take one to school... 
 I helped with the party in big sister's class in the morning.  I dressed in my traditional witch tights and witch hat, and I drew a spider web with a spider in the corner of my eye.  Her classmates loved telling me I had something on my face. 

 Little Brother.  This was the only time he wore the hood.  It lasted about 10 seconds.  He was a cute Cosmo the Cougar!  I could've done Hawkeye, in keeping with the Avengers theme, but we already had this costume, it's warm, and I'm cheap.  A few BYU fans on our trick-or-treat route observed that Cosmo is a superhero, even if he's not an Avenger.  This little boy was a serious trick-or-treater.  I really didn't think he'd last, so we brought the wagon.  The idea being that when he got tired, I could cart him home easily.  He and his cousin rode in the wagon between houses, but they ran as fast as anyone up to the door.  I couldn't keep up, and I had to carry his bag 'cuz it slowed him down.  He mastered the art of saying trick-or-treat and thank you very quickly.  He lasted the whole time, thanks to the wagon.  Fantastic idea!  My favorite was when he said "trick-or-treating!" at a couple of houses.  Loved every minute, this one!
 Big Brother got to be Hulk.  He was excited about this until I put the costume on him a few weeks ago.  He was scared of himself in the mirror, and I hadn't even put on the mask.  This little boy's delays also made for some rough patches in Halloween celebrations.  The idea of the pumpkin patch with his school.was great, but he had a meltdown when we got there.  The same teacher and friends he knows and loves, but since it was a different setting and he didn't understand, he freaked out.  We only stayed for 15 minutes.  Little brother loved it 'cuz there were pumpkins AND tractors!  What's not to love?  Anyway.  When it was time for his party at school the day before Halloween, I had to wrestle him into the costume.  My hope was once the fun started at school he'd be okay with the costume.  If he wasn't, well, he'd gotten a fireman hat from a field trip, so I'd stick that on him with his coat and call it good.  He refused to participate in the parade and the singing of Halloween songs.  I know he knows the songs 'cuz he sings them to me.  But having all the parents there freaked him out again.  I knew he'd be fine once we left.  Fortunately, my dear friend/his teacher totally gets that about him.  He came home with the BIGGEST grin on his face!  He had a fabulous time at the party.  He wanted to take his costume right off, but he had gotten used to it and was happy to put it on for trick-or-treating.  Phew.  Can't have the Avengers without Hulk!  He even put on his mask because his cousins were wearing theirs.  I really didn't think that would happen.  I'd put it on a couple weeks before, just to try and show the boys it wasn't scary and they both started crying.  Positive peer pressure my friends, it works wonders for these little ones with their disabilities! 
He WUVED trick-or-treating!  I thought we were done by the 5th house.  They had a giant spider that had a sensor.  It jumped and landed right on his shoulder.  He jumped away and froze, just shaking poor thing!  Fortunately Aunt Scooby distracted him a bit and helped him get candy, and he was fine.  Just kept on trucking!  (Little sister firmly refused to go anywhere near the door.)  He kept up with Big Sister all night, and only  had to ride in the wagon for the last little bit.  I love seeing this boy's face light up like it did that night!  In a new situation, he would normally melt down.  But thanks to his cousins and sister, he adjusted and had a great time.  LOVE that!
 Little brother, Black Widow, Captain America, The Hulk, Iron Man (which my nephew pronounces "I-RUN Man") and Thor.  We decided at the last minute to trick-or-treat together, and I'm so glad we did!
I had husband take some video of the kids at one house.  Little sister didn't go.  She seemed to avoid any houses that were decorated extensively.  I guess she just figured they were more likely to have things that would jump out at her and/or scare her.  Watch at the end how fast little brother is running, ready to go to the next house!

All my kiddos.  See the trick-or-treat bags?  There's a very sweet man named Ron that works at the store as a courtesy clerk.  I get the impression he only has to work for insurance purposes.  He loves the kids, particularly little brother.  He drops by our house once in a while to bring us things.  He got these reusable grocery bags for the kids to trick-or-treat with.  They loved them! 

No comments: