Thursday, November 21, 2013

Summer

My sister and I shared a room for a good portion of our childhood.  The story goes that the first night mom dared put me in with this wild child, she ended up in my crib sitting on my chest.  The first of many adventurous nights!  I remember lots of giggling.  Remember the Sesame Street sketches with Bert & Ernie?  Where Bert is trying to sleep and Ernie won't shut up?  I sympathized with Bert.  And I'd inevitably end up jumping back and forth between the beds with her anyway.  And I was usually the one mid-leap when our parents would burst in.  We didn't always get along (gasp!) but when we did get along, we had lots of fun.  Playing barbies, sledding, acting out plays.  And she would always come in and play whatever song I was learning on the piano better than me.  As adults, we don't get much opportunity to see each other.  But I am immensely proud to call her my sister.  I have watched her enlist in the army and Rock It!  She loves a challenge, and loves proving she's up to it.  And she always, always does prove that she is up to any challenge she is faced with.  I have watched her support her family, sacrificing spending time with them in order to do so.  I hope that when her sons are grown, they will recognize how much she sacrificed because of how much she loves them.  Every time I see a flag, I am reminded of the immense sacrifice she is making, not just in supporting her family but in defending the freedom of this country. She enjoys all things Disney, particularly Tigger.  Which is fitting because she's an awful lot of fun!  And food.  We can't even begin to describe her love of food.  As long as there's good food, she's a happy camper.  Even when she's in Afghanistan.  Today is my sister's birthday, so in celebration of her awesomeness, please to enjoy some pictures:

Me and Mummer

See?  She has always loved food!

A very Happy Birthday to my favorite soldier!

No comments: