Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Reading

Earlier this year, our Bishop challenged our ward to read or finish reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.  Since Little Sister will be baptized next year, she and I had already started reading it together.  We decided to just have the family join us so we could all complete the challenge.  We've struggled with how to do family scriptures.  We've tried dinner time, but Husband isn't home for dinner about half the times.  After dinner, same issue.  Before school was giving us some problems, too.  We finally told the kids we needed to make a better effort.  We get them up and sit on the couch.  I plug my phone into the stereo and we listen to a chapter.  (Where was this feature when I was a kid??)  They all cuddle and listen.  It has made mornings smoother for the most part.  They are up and ready for school on time now.  That rarely happened before without a lot of pushing and prodding from mom.  I was waiting for the fighting level to go down, but it wasn't.  Where was my fulfillment of promise??  Husband and I were kind of at our wit's end.  We fasted and prayed 'cuz these kids were just not getting along.  At.  All.  And suddenly I just had some thoughts about how to help them.  A simple voice telling me that I needed to get the Obedience Basket back out.  We'd put it away because the boys were just using it as one more thing to tear apart.  And it had kind of lost its influence.  So I got it back out.  So much better!  We've had couple of family home evenings, as well, to remind them why we need to get along.  So I guess the promise wasn't so much the miracle of no fighting automatically, but that I would be guided as to how to help them resolve their differences.  I'll take it!  There is such power in the Book of Mormon!

1 comment:

Tawny Hawkins said...

I want to hear you call "ScriiIPtures!" in the morning.
And just listening has got to be cheating, just like a CD player in the car. Wish I had thought of that! :-)