I have been neglectful in my November present to Mummer. Let's fix that, shall we?
I love this picture of big brother. His name in Hebrew means "he laughs." He most definitely does. His smile is so infectious. When we were taking family pictures, he was getting a little overwhelmed. So when we did the individual kids pictures, we had him go last so that he could have a little break. He was still a little antsy about the whole process. I was sitting to his right, trying to let the photographer do her thing. She told big brother to look at Mommy, and this is the shot she got. He looked over at me and just started giggling. He was still in picture mode, sort of, so he was trying not to cover his mouth like he usually does when he laughs. It was so cute. When we saw the finished product, it just melted my heart a bit. I love my mama's boy. He has grown so very much. He still has his struggles. I was helping him with homework last week. He got overwhelmed because he just didn't understand what he was being asked to do, and we had a meltdown. *sigh* Not beyond the realm of normal for normal kids, of course, but with big brother we know that a big part of the issue is comprehension and communication. He's getting there, and working so hard at it, but he still definitely has his challenges. I ended up writing a note to the teacher that he had done as much as he could. I was helping in his classroom a few days later. I got to help them do paper mache on balloons. It was
very messy and funny. Some of them embrace the glue mess, others try
to use as few fingers as possible and a paintbrush. There's a little
girl that big brother seems to like. He draws pictures at home and
writes her name on them. So as I was helping her with her balloon, she
asked if I was big brother's mom. I told her I was. I asked "Is he your
friend?" "Yes. I think so." "I think he thinks you're his friend,
too." She looked at me with big eyes and said "He does?!?!???" "Yes.
He knows how to write your name and draws pictures for you at home."
"Well, WHY doesn't he say anything to me at school?" LOL Poor girl,
fell for the strong silent type! Oh, my boy! He's going to be a
heartbreaker! Later, I was laughing with the teacher while I told her this story. She said "Well, they're in the same group for a lot of things because they're both, you know, very academically advanced." She just kept talking, telling me how cute these two are together. But I only heard half of it because her comment about him being so advanced just struck me. Remember how when he was 2 he could only say 2 words - Daddy and uh-oh? I have known for a while that he's advanced, he amazes me constantly with the things he remembers and can do. However, that's only when he can communicate those things. I know there's so much more in there, we're only scratching the surface! It's just felt for a long time that I was one of the few who could understand him enough to know that. His kindergarten teacher has him in the advanced group for just about everything. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed by how far he has come and how hard he has worked to get this far. He almost never gives up, and just keeps plugging along with that incredible smile. How wonderful that his hard work is really paying off. Oh, how I love this boy. He has stretched my heart to the limits, made it burst, and helped piece it back together just to stretch it some more. Here's to more stretching.
Multiplying Fractions
6 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment