Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thoughts for today

Sometimes when I'm wondering how I can be more effective as a mother, the Spirit sends some thoughts to me.  I've learned it's best to follow those promptings.  Earlier this year, I was feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the responsibility I have.  There are spiritual quotes all over our home, and one says something like "We hold in our arms the rising generation.  We cannot be casual in how we prepare them."  That was sticking in my mind a lot - maybe 'cuz it's over my kitchen sink, but maybe because there is so much turmoil and confusion in the world.  It's overwhelming to think that it's my responsibility to give my children the tools to navigate it all.  GAH!  As I've prayed for Heavenly Father's help to do this, I kept feeling like I need to do more one on one with these kiddos.  Which we've done already, to an extent.  We read the gospel principles book with big sister every night, which teaches basic concepts of the gospel and gives her the opportunity to ask questions with her parents' undivided attention - being the oldest by 3 years can make having those deeper conversations as a family hard at this point.  I started to feel like I needed to do more.  I read a quote that if there's something you want your children to know 5 years from now, you need to tell them now.  I felt that had some merit to it.  The idea came that I should take some popsicle sticks and write topics on them.  I thought about it for months before I finally did something about it.  I got a canning jar, put the sticks in, and voila!  We call them talking sticks.  (almost) Every night, Big sister picks one out and we just talk.  Sometimes it's gospel related, sometimes more just general life experience.  We've discussed church policies that have been in the news lately, college education, marriage, dating, finances.  It gives us a chance to talk to h er and share our thoughts and ideas, and for her to ask questions.  It's been going so well - I think she feels closer to us, and it's reinforcing that she really can come to us to ask us anything - we are open to discuss it all.  Hopefully I can keep it up!

No comments: