I lived in hand-me-downs. I got some new things once in awhile, because the sister just older than me was quite the tomboy and kind of hard on clothes. But I got a lot of hand-me-downs. I was not always thrilled at this arrangement. Looking back, I should have simply been more grateful to not be naked! Try explaining that to a kid, though, eh? So this week I went to put some spring-ish clothes on little sister that were a size 3. She has shot up a bit and is too tall for them. Well, she is 4 after all! So I went into my basement closet and dug (seriously dug - there's so much crap being stored in there during construction!) out the box of size 4 clothes for her. We swapped all the size 3 stuff out and put the 4's away in her drawers and closets. Little sister was so excited for her "new" clothes. They are, fortunately, in pretty good condition since big sister is not too hard on clothes. I am excited that I don't need to buy anything to complete little sister's size 4 wardrobe. Hooray! Big sister, however, is jealous. Which totally cracks me up. She told me that it is not fair that little sister has a huge box of new clothes. First of all, they are all
her old clothes, not new ones. And what kid gets jealous of hand-me-downs? Really? Big sister claimed it's not fair because she doesn't get hand-me-downs. Can't win, can I? I had to remind her that her wonderful Aunt Shaye sends us her daughter's old clothes when she is finished wearing them, so she does get hand-me-downs. Usually a big ol' bag to go through and decide what she likes and what should be sent on to charity 'cuz it's not "her style". I guess the real problem is that Big sister does not need a new wardrobe yet, so she doesn't have any new clothes so she's jealous that little sister does. Hand-me-downs or no. The grass is always greener on the other side, eh?
1 comment:
We've had that happen here with the boys being jealous that the younger ones got all "new" clothes. Unfortunately, at this point, our oldest is really hard on clothes and hardly anything makes it past him.
Post a Comment