Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Little sister's birthday...and other stuff

Little sister had one fun little shindig on Sunday. She was totally into the whole birthday thing this year. It's so fun that she gets it but doesn't have some long list of demands/request for her special day. We just had family over and had some delicious homemade Cafe Rio burritos. Then she opened the presents and we did her Dairy Queen ice cream cake. She loved it all. You can't really tell from the pictures 'cuz I couldn't get a real smile out of her, but she loved it. She got yellow tulips and some yellow balloons from mommy and daddy, plus some toys. She loved the Toy Story balloon that shouted random Buzz Lightyear phrases whenever you tapped it. Daddy picked that one out, and it was a good choice. A little annoying, but good! We have had fun celebrating our sweet girl!


Opening presents. I promise she was really happy and excited! You just can't tell because she's concentrating so hard on the wrapping paper.


I told her to smile for the camera, so she took her two fingers and pushed the corners of her mouth up. The real smile she had 2 seconds earlier would have been fine, but this is cute and kinda funny!



Eating her ice cream cake with the yellow frosting - complete with yellow lips!

Husband started his first day at his new store. I had to call to talk to him this morning and the technician that answered the phone thanked me for allowing him to be their new manager. They just love him over there. She also told me that she is going to work on convincing him to get a cell phone. That made me laugh. If you've met husband, and you're one of the many people who have tried over the years to convince him he needs a cell phone, you know that you are wasting your time with that conversation. He actually likes that people can't get a hold of him whenever they want, and he doesn't need one for work so what's the point? I have one, and I even answer it - sometimes. Truly, I mainly use it for emergencies. Husband will take it if he goes out of town on Scout Camp or something like that. Otherwise, it mostly sits in my purse. There have been 2 or 3 occasions where I have thought "gee, it would be so nice if I could call him right now!" when we lose each other in a store or something. 2 or 3 occasions over almost 9 years of marriage don't really convince me that he "needs" one, either. Anyway, I told her good luck. If you can convince him he wants one, we'll go get him one. But I'm not holding my breath! She took that as a serious challenge and seems very determined. We'll see what happens!

I mentioned before that we now own a van. We also still have a truck and a car. Husband is using the car to commute, which saves on gas. Husband mentioned selling the truck at one point, but neither of us can bring ourselves to do that. It's so handy for trips to Home Depot, camping, and hauling boy scouts and all their gear. A few people have expressed interest in buying the car, which we were originally going to do. Now we can't decide. Husband could commute in the truck, but gas prices are probably only going up at this point and the gas could cost us more than insuring and registering all 3 cars each year. So the debate will be ongoing for awhile, I think. To sell the car or not to sell the car. Hmmm. Maybe it'll live long enough that we can give it to big sister when she starts driving! ha ha!


No comments: