Saturday, July 27, 2013

The end of summer and the beginning of school

Our elementary school has finally gotten crowded enough that they switched us to year-round.  We have been making the most of our last couple weeks of "official" summer.  We went swimming a lot, and these little boys are awfully cute in their matching swim trunks:

We've had a few July monsoons move through in the afternoons - big sister and her friend loved dancing in the rain:
We took the girls to Lagoon.  We decided to leave both boys home this year.  Big brother liked it last year, but he didn't have any idea what we were talking about when we asked if he wanted to go again.  So we had their favorite babysitter come and he definitely seemed to prefer hanging out with her to going with us.  He also ended up asking to be put to bed pretty early, so we're glad that we didn't take him so that the girls were able to stay until they were actually done.  They had a blast!  Big sister rode some of the bigger rides, like the white roller coaster, the Wild Mouse, and Colossus.  She is one brave chica!  Husband and I traded off taking her on the big rides.  Little sister definitely prefers the little rides still.  She was thrilled that she got to ride in the yellow baby boat:
We decided to bring our own food this year since the food at Lagoon has always been so-so, but in years past has gone to downright gross.  We left a cooler full of our lunch in a pavilion.  So glad we did - the girls actually ate the chicken salad sandwiches we brought and we spent a lot less money on treats!  Plus the pavilion gave us shade that we didn't have to fight for.  We also spent some time in the water park.  The girls can both swim pretty well, so it was nice to have the water park part be an option this year.  Little sister went down the same slide in the kiddie pool for approximately 45 minutes.  Husband and I traded off taking big sister down the big slides, which she LOVED!  Once we were all cooled off (read: little sister's lips were turning blue), we headed back out into the park to do more rides.  We went on the perfect day.  It was really hot, but that mean the water park actually felt nice.  Usually it's too cold.  It was also very un-crowded.  We walked right onto most of the rides without even waiting in line.  If there was a line, it was short.  We did absolutely everything the girls wanted to do, and some of it twice!  At the end, big sister got hot again and soaked herself in the fountain at the entrance, and then we got our tradition of fantastically flavored slushee's and a caramel apple for mom. 
Big sister on the merry-go-round
The girls at lunch.

On a side note.  I carry a very small purse, always have.  I wear it across my body and have been taking it on all of the bigger rides for probably at least 12 years.  There were several rides this year that told me I couldn't take it.  This made no sense to me until I made a discovery.  On a lot of the rides, Lagoon now has little mini-lockers.  You can use a credit card to pay for these lockers.  That would explain why their new policy is no bags of any kind - they've found another way to get more money from you.  Next year, I will wear the belt I take running that goes around my waist and barely fits my phone and a little cash or a credit card.  Anyway.  We had fun and made some good memories!

Onto the school stuff!  Big sister is in 4th grade.  She started Thursday.  I sent her with the neighbors because me taking her was just not plausible.  She told the neighbors she knew where she was going, but when the neighbors went to find their classes big sister realized she wasn't sure if she needed to go to her classroom or line up outside.  She stood frozen in the front entryway of the school for a few seconds.  Normally, this kind of situation would get a dramatic retelling and she would be mad that I didn't take her to her first day.  (I am a terrible mother for doing that...)  Our new principal, however, came to the rescue.  According to Big sister, she stood there for just a few seconds wondering which way to go and the principal immediately noticed that she looked lost.  She went right up to big sister and asked her what grade she was in and who her teacher was.  Big sister told her, and she walked big sister up the stairs, into her classroom, and introduced her to her teacher.  People, I am impressed with our new principal already!  The fact that she a)noticed right away that big sister was uncertain of where to go and b)took the time out of her very busy morning to walk a student to her class seems to indicate that this woman is going to be awesome!  Big sister had a fantastic first day, loves her teacher, and is excited to be back in school.
Little sister met her teacher at a 15 minute appointment on Thursday.  I love that they do this.  These little first graders are pretty nervous, and going from half day to all day is daunting for some of them.  So on everyone else's first day, they just meet their teacher to ease them into things.  Her first official day was Friday, and that was perfect, too.  Since it's early day, this is another way for her to ease into it.  No huge adjustments, and that is great for these little ones.  When we met her teacher, she asked about little sister and then about siblings.  She asked who big sister had for first grade.  Remember how big sister had a terrible teacher  in first grade?  That teacher quit the next year - right before she was fired.  Anyway, all I did was say the name of the teacher - no explanations or anything like that.  Her immediate response was "Oh, I'm so sorry!  I promise this year will be better for  you!"  Apparently Big sister's old teacher's abysmal teaching qualities are legendary.  Little sister's teacher does seem rather fantastic, so hooray for that!  Little sister had a fantastic first day herself, and is so excited to go back on Monday.

Cute sisters!
The only sad part in all of this, really, is that Big brother keeps bringing me his backpack and asking where Mr. Ray is.  He doesn't understand that he doesn't go back for another month, and even if he could understand I don't think I'd have the heart to tell him he might not have the same bus driver...  I love that these kiddos love school so much!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I loved getting caught up with your darling family. thanks for including me in your post. Margaret Cardall