Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hey look! I actually remembered to take pictures!

It's been a busy July for us!  The girls head back to school next week.  I have to say, I'm pretty excited about doing year round.  Almost everyone I talk to hates that we're switching, but I LOVE the idea of more frequent breaks.  Maybe because I grew up on that system...Anyway.  Summer has been just long enough for everyone to enjoy it, but not so long that we've gotten to the bored&fighting stage.  I can tell we're getting close to that, though.  So school will start just in time.  Awesome.  We revamped the chore chart when summer started, and the kids have been doing really well at doing their chores each morning without much complaining.  It's really been a fantastic summer!  And now, on to the lots of pictures!

Little Brother turned 2!  This little firecracker is talking more and more every day.  He's quite the little parrot, so we have to really watch what we say.  He loves to cuddle, when it's his idea.  He still doesn't like table food all that much, so we're still on baby food.  We're pretty sure it's a texture thing.  If he has to chew too much, he gags.  If he gags, he almost always throws up.  I figure he'll get there eventually.  Or at least he won't be going to kindergarten eating baby food.  The doctor agreed with my view when he heard how much baby food little brother consumes, which is a lot.  Big brother was the same way.  Ah, these children of mine.  We took little brother and big brother in for checkups.  Big brother is 39.4 pounds (73%) and 41.25 inches (63%).  Little brother is 23.88 pounds (7%) and 32.75 inches (13 %).  Little brother is little, which is more in keeping with the way the girls grew.  We have no idea where brother's above average stats are coming from.  He is definitely a big boy!

We did a party for little brother on the 4th of July.  Having sat through 3 of his siblings birthdays this year, he knew what to do with the presents and was thrilled to get to open them.  And that he got to sit on Daddy's lap while he did it!

I'm a really mean mom and didn't even give him a piece of cake.  I knew he wouldn't want any.  I did offer him a bite and he shouted "NO!"  I think he ate some homemade ice cream, at least. 
After cake and ice cream, when it got dark, we set off some fireworks.  We're cheapos, so all of ours stay on the ground.  So many of our surrounding neighbors set off aerials that we get quite the show anyway.  The kids loved it, even little sister.  She who hates loud noises has finally decided that she likes fireworks as long as she can sit in the front window so they're not as loud.  Little brother enjoyed joining her there.  It was a fun day with lots of family and fun!

The week after the 4th, we geared up for our camping trip.  We booked a trip to Pineview Reservoir in the Anderson Cove Campground.  We took Big sister there when she was 2 and we loved it, so we thought we'd try it again.  There's grass in the campgrounds and the beaches around the reservoir are actually sandy beaches.  Its' the best of both worlds!  We booked back in February.  This place is popular, so sites fill up fast.  In fact, there were no sites available on weekends when we booked in February!  Then in March, when my sister was in town for Grandma's funeral, her husband Brodie suggested doing a summer trip together like we did last year.  Husband invited him to come along, and then we decided we should invite his brothers to join us, as well!  I should mention that I graduated from high school with one brother and his wife, and the other brother was actually one of husband's mission companions.  So these people are the best combination of friends and family!  We booked the campsites that were next to ours and we've been looking forward to it ever since.  Unfortunately, Brodie ended up having to stay home to tend to his business.  We missed him and my sister, who is doing a rotation in Vegas right now, and 2 of their daughters.  My mom brought their youngest 3, though, and Cedie met us up there, too.  My kids loved seeing their cousins!  We had a fun group and everybody had a fantastic time!  We got up there Tuesday afternoon and did tin foil dinners.  We manged to get in a little swimming before dinner, too.  The kids didn't sleep so hot the first night, so Wednesday one of them was napping at some point throughout the whole day.  Husband stayed up at the campsite the whole time, while I stayed on the beach with the ones who were awake.  After I got our dutch oven dinner going that night, I left the kids with their older cousins and husband and I went for a nice swim.  The reservoir was cold, but it felt good since it was so hot outside. 

Mommy and little brother at the beach - he was having fun, I promise!  *note - next time, will somebody inform me that my mascara from the previous day has turned into the Jack Sparrow eyeliner?  I didn't have a mirror people!
After his nap, big brother really wanted to help with the potatoes
Little brother cuddling his Daddy
Little sister
Courtney and Cedie
Big sister and Courtney - they are bestest friends when they get together!
Gabe and Grandpa, Daddy and little brother

Matt and Jeremy's boys came over and played ball with little brother while we ate dinner.  He was in heaven, and I got to eat in peace.  These fine young men were so good with the littler kids!

The kids all slept GREAT Wednesday night, YAY!  That might have something to do with the melatonin I gave them to ensure that would happen...Anyway.  Thursday morning was a bit on the cool side.  The sky was pretty cloudy and our kids weren't wanting to go swimming.  So we decided that we'd go on a hike at snow basin.  Scooby and her boys, Grandpa, and Cedie came with us.  We were going to try and follow the trail daddy did for Ragnar, but it was closed.  So we found this little road and headed off.
Little brother holding mama's hand
Not too far down the road, we looked at this clearing and saw a moose!  WOW!  A second one came out right after this, and then they disappeared.  Cool to see them, and glad they weren't any closer!
Holding Grandpa's hand now!
It was beautiful along this trail.  So many pretty flowers, and some really gorgeous black and white butterflies.  The kids did really well, except that we didn't turn around and go back soon enough.  They were all tired out about the time we turned back, so they weren't thrilled with having to walk all the way back.  Little sister sat down on the trail and said "OKAY!  Who's going to carry me?"  Grandpa ended up holding little brother while I dragged big sister along and husband carried big brother and little sister.  Have I mentioned they weigh the same?  That's basically 80 pounds of kid husband hauled back to the truck.  Yup.  He's superman.
We did stop on our way back to take a break.  I love little cousin's "cheese" face:
The triplets with Grandpa
After some naps, the kids were pretty happy to play on the beach since it had warmed up.  Big brother especially loved the Cheetos...
Little sister did go in the big boat the first day, but freaked out when they hit a big wave.  I couldn't convince her to get in it again.  She loved Daddy's raft, though!
Daddy went on a tube ride with big sister.  Big sister was always out on the boat watching the wakeboarding and riding the tube.  She loved every minute.  Thanks to Jeremy and Lindy for making that part so fun for her!
The next morning was cool again, so Daddy lit a big fire to keep everyone warm while we packed up.  The kids were rather anxious for that fire:
Cute kiddos!
We got home Friday afternoon and unloaded, bathed all the kids, and got started on laundry.  Ashley, Courtney and Gabe were all staying at my house, so our laundry pile was pretty big.  I ended up washing all the sleeping bags, they were nasty!  Sand, dirt, campfire.  But, I figure the dirtier we are when we come home, the more fun we had, right?  Actually, since we swam every day we were pretty clean by camping standards.  On Saturday, we discovered that Gabe had only brought two shirts and he'd lost one.  So I took Ashley to WalMart to buy him some awesome Duck Dynasty t-shirts.  (I am now the favorite Aunt, Jack!)  While there, we discovered THESE:
Ashley begged and I caved.  I am an awesome Aunt.  The kids were so excited for twinkies again!  I am just waiting for my raspberry filled doughnuts to return...  Shaye's kids were fantastic about pitching in to help with dishes, cleaning up, and even weeding!  It was great having them here.  In the afternoon, Aunt Scooby invited us over for a swim:
The little kids love the kiddie pool - it's pretty warm and the perfect size for them.
In the evening, Ashley discovered what happens when you leave mascara where a two-year-old can reach it.  Big brother knows all too well how to remove mascara, which is so helpful:
And here is Sunday night:
When I put big brother to bed on Monday, he kept asking where Gabe was.  Cute boy.
Big sister and Courtney
Little Sister and Ashley

We had a fantastic time!  I am now in the process of potty training both the boys.  Because of big brother's delays, he's just barely ready, and little brother is more advanced in his communication so he's been ready for a few weeks.  I bought a huge bag of skittles so they could have one every time they go in the potty.  They started yesterday, and I have now given a total of 8 skittles.  Pray for me, my friends!

No comments: