I'll post about Halloween when I have time to get pictures on the computer. For today, I would like to examine the past 24 hours:
We got up early yesterday and got 2 little girls ready for Halloween parties at school and attended both their parades, carved pumpkins, and did all the standard Halloween stuff. It was busy and fun. After dinner, daddy took the 3 oldest trick-or-treating. Big brother and little sister both got tired, so he brought them home and kept going with big sister. Big brother decided to eat a ding dong. Big brother doesn't actually like ding dongs, but he always forgets this until he bites into it. So he gave the rest to little brother. Grandpa was here and saw the danger of little brother walking around while eating the ding dong, so he put him in his high chair. Thanks Grandpa! Little brother didn't eat the ding dong, either. He just mushed it around. Then when I tried to feed him some oatmeal before bed, he threw up. Fantastic. I picked him up to head to the bathtub and discovered he was also poopy. Double fantastic. So I clean up that mess and big brother and little sister join little brother in the bathtub. I take little brother out and get him dressed, and in the 1 minute it took me to get back to the bathroom, little brother had pulled the towels and tossed them into the full bathtub. And was now retrieving the soaking wet towels and hugging them. So we got everyone out and changed little brother again. Then we all went to bed. And I did not melt down once. I wanted to, but I didn't. Fastforward to today. Grandpa was over fixing our furnace and I had to take little sister to school and go grocery shopping with the boys. At the grocery store, little brother thinks it's his job to throw things out of the cart while big brother rearranges everything on the shelves. Whatever. I was close to being finished and had just put a carton of 18 eggs in the cart, out of reach of little brother. Except little brother is crafty. He picked up the carton of 18 eggs and dumped it upside down. Meanwhile, big brother is rearranging stuff on shelves. So I got out my phone and called husband at the pharmacy to come help me. He and another employee helped me get it all cleaned up and I instructed husband to just bring eggs home when he gets off work tonight. The general mayhem of big brother continued through to the checkout line. So far, I had come close to crying and was in general embarrassed, but I had not lost it. And then the lady behind me said it. You know - "You're gonna miss this." I really wanted to smack her. I get the sentiment, I totally do. There are phases of my kids that I already miss. I know I will miss parts of my children being young. BUT. I sincerely doubt that someday when I am grocery shopping and have no children with me I will be thinking to myself "I wish I had a toddler to dump a bunch of eggs on the floor." I will definitely not miss that. When has that phrase ever made anyone feel better? I get that she was trying, but it didn't help at all. I know, lady. I know. I will miss my children when they leave. But I will not miss every facet of raising small children. And today, I would just like to get home and crawl back under the covers and devour the chocolate cake I made yesterday because I really want to just give in and lose it. Instead, I will just smile at you, say "Yup." And take my children home. The end.
Multiplying Fractions
6 years ago

1 comment:
and next time you will bring big brother and little brother over to my house before you go grocery shopping.
Post a Comment