Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A little political

Now that it's all over, and since this is my blog where I post my own thoughts, I'm going to go a little political.  What I hate about politics is how ugly people get about it.  You should absolutely be passionate about your beliefs.  But that passion should not transform into name-calling and hateful speech.  I was especially embarrassed for the people that share my religious beliefs that frequently made half-joking (not really joking) remarks about how you can't be a good Mormon and a Democrat.  Absolutely not true.  Up until recently, I have been a registered Democrat.  I switched to unaffiliated because I'm pretty disgusted with both parties and their unwillingness to work together.  But I have found that when I look at both sides of the issues, I tend to lean more Democrat than Republican.  I did eventually vote for Romney, but it took me awhile to get to that point.  I barely liked him more than Obama.  Barely.  I think both men are good individuals who are genuinely trying to help and genuinely care.  I may or may not agree with what they want to do to provide that help.  However, I really don't like the generalization that either of them are inherently evil men.  Or that they are big liars.  If you hooked both of them up to a lie detector, they would both pass because they both believe what they are saying is true.  The question becomes whether you agree with them or not.  Those are just my personal thoughts and beliefs.  How grateful I am to live in a country where I have the right to choose, a right people have fought and died for.  But with this election, I have not felt like I could voice that because people have been so hateful in the way they respond to those who don't agree.  I have seen people use the words stupid, uneducated, idiotic, Satanic, pathetic, unrighteous when describing.  People have even said that if you vote for Obama your temple recommend should be revoked.  These statements are supposed to accomplish what, exactly?  I wonder, too, if people would actually dare to say that to my face?  The religion I belong to is neutral in politics.  In fact, they have put small campaigns together to promote that you can be a good Mormon and a Democrat because so many people seem to believe the opposite.  Some of the very un-Christlike statements made by people who claim to have the same religion as I do make me ashamed.  And, quite frankly, afraid to voice my true opinion.  But I shouldn't be.  I don't want to go into the why's of what I believe here, just wanted to get something off my chest.  If we are true followers of Christ, we are loving and accepting, even if someone believes differently from us.  I don't think that those friends and family who tend to be more Republican than I am are stupid, or evil.  They simply believe differently.  Which, in this country, is absolutely great!  How great that we live in a country where you can believe how you want to.  Personally, I will pray for our President each day.  It is a difficult job where you will never be able to please everyone.  But I genuinely believe he does his best and I will pray that Heavenly Father will bless him.

No comments: