Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ready for a good bill of health!

It all started a couple weeks ago when big sister woke us up around 4am saying that her tummy hurt. We got her to the bathroom just in time. She was pretty miserable for the rest of the day. This was a violent, nasty bug! It was a full 24 hours before she could keep anything down, including just plain water. A few days later, little brother started in. It started at night, so I was up all night with him. Poor little guy. We think little sister got it, but husband managed to get her some anti-nausea medication before she lost it. She had a good fever, was cuddly, had no appetite and napped a bit. She kept asking for the medicine, so I think it did help her feel better. I hope that was it, anyway! Then big sister came home from school and immediately fell asleep on the couch with a fever. All mom's know that's a bad sign! The next morning, she seemed ok, so I sent her to school. And secured my entry for worst mom of the year. She came home crying, saying she was cold and had a headache and her throat hurt. Our wonderful pediatrician got her right in and confirmed an ear infection and strep throat. I totally babied her for the next few days! Last Saturday night, I came down with the stomach bug. I was up all night, and I had to call for a last minute sub for the piano in primary. I'm so grateful there are willing and able people that can bail me out! I debated whether I really should skip church, but it's a good thing I did. I ended up just throwing up on the kitchen floor at one point because I didn't have the energy to lean over the sink or get to the bathroom. I'm afraid I scared big sister and big brother, who had stayed home so as to not share their germs. They were both crying and I had to reassure big sister I was not dying. The next day I was still too sore and weak to get out of bed very much. Husband started feeling it a little that night, but was hopeful it would be gone before he had to work the next day. He was up a bit in the night, but felt ok in the morning and went to work. I called around noon to see how he was feeling and he told me he had called in a substitute pharmacist and was coming home. I can count on one hand the number of times he's taken a sick day over the last 9+ years I've known him. Seriously, this was a nasty bug! A few people asked what they could do and all I felt I could say was to just stay away from our house. We were on quarantine! The next day we seemed to be over the stomach bug. I was still holding my breath, and good thing, too. The day after that little sister had the fever and sore throat. Our wonderful pediatrician once again squeezed us in really fast. She had a double ear infection and strep throat. So off to daddy for some antibiotics! I finally felt better enough to clean and disinfect the house. I wondered what would happen next...
Sunday's supposed to be a day of rest, right? Usually, it feels that way. Today was different, though! I woke up at 1am with big brother, then again around 5:30 with big sister. When I heard big brother again around 8, I went in and discovered what I thought may have been an allergic reaction to something was definitely more of an infection in his eye. My mind immediately started racing through everything that needed to be done so that we could get him to the Express Care located at my husband's work as soon as they opened. My hope was that we could get in and out fast enough and that his eye wouldn't be contagious so we could still make it to church. I hate trying to find a substitute for the piano in primary at the last minute! There are willing people, but I just hate making a last minute phone call. So we raced around getting everybody ready as fast as we could and managed to be the first ones at the express care. We got our prescription and took it right over to Daddy to get it filled. We managed to make it to church 15 minutes early. I thought I'd dodged a bullet. Towards the end of Sacrament Meeting, I realized that little sister didn't smell so pleasant. So I took her and big brother to the bathroom for some diaper changing. Once in the bathroom, I discovered that little sister was covered in poop. It was all over her legs, inside her shoes, on the inside of her dress. I only had 8 wipes left in the diaper bag. I knew I'd have to take her home for a shower and to change her dress, but I was also supposed to be starting the opening singing stuff for primary in 5 minutes! And I have to get big brother to nursery, and go get my bags and...AAAUUGGHH!!! Of course it had to happen on a day my husband has to work! I pulled myself together and cleaned her as best I could. Thanks to several people observing my obviously frazzled expression, everything got sorted out. Another sister gather my belongings together for me and took big brother to nursery for me. A good brother volunteered to get the piano going for me while I ran home. Another dear sister was right outside as I was leaving and I asked her to go relieve the dear brother so he could attend to his big group of sunbeams. She agreed without hesitation and took my bag of music. Angels, all of these people, I tell you! We raced home, sprayed down little sister, changed her dress, and headed back. Somewhere before getting in the car I realized I had not put another pull-up on little sister. Glad I remembered that one before we left! With her being on antibiotics, she only has so much control over herself and I wouldn't have wanted another blowout! From there on, things calmed down more and it turned out to be a pretty nice Sunday. But I think we are all ready for a clean bill of health!

No comments: