Monday, May 24, 2010

The drive-thru is scary...and other stuff

Here is little sister - all ready to go to school. Yup, it's the end of May and she's got winter clothes and a winter coat on! We woke up to snow this morning! Ah, Utah weather. She got on the bus and only looked back to wave for a second. She came home smiling, but a little clingy. I think because she doesn't understand when we explain something, the whole school thing was a little stressful for her. I explained what was going to happen, but she doesn't understand when we explain anything. Which is why she's in an early-intervention preschool - so she can learn how to communicate. So even though she had fun on her adventure, she wasn't really prepared for it, so it took a little toll. She just wanted to cuddle, which is fine by me! I was happy to oblige.



This little boy is scared of the drive-thru. Last week I took Husband's suit to be cleaned. I pulled up to Red Hanger's drive-up to drop off the suit. As soon as the manager appeared at my window, he started crying like he'd been pinched or something. Little sister can't handle it when he cries, so she was a sobbing mess within seconds. I thought maybe he'd bit his own finger (which has been known to happen.) I thought it was a fluke and just drove home with the screaming babies. When I went to pick up the suit, the SAME thing happened. The boy lost it as soon as the manager appeared at the window! I thought that perhaps he was just scared of the lady at Red Hanger. Tonight, since little sister just wanted to be held I decided we'd do Iceberg for dinner. Big sister was at a birthday party, so I packed up little sister and little brother and we went to Iceberg. I placed my order and drove around to the window. As soon as the girl running the drive-thru opened the window, the boy LOST it. That I-can't-breathe cry. (And you should see his saddest sad face - heartbreaking!) Little sister was already teetering close to the edge, so she lost it, too. He continued to get worse every time the girl came back to the window with my credit card, my bag of food, and then my drinks. The drive-thru girl was looking at me very sympathetic, as if she could tell that I was going through the drive-thru 'cuz it was one of "those" days. Which today, it actually wasn't. It was a pretty good day. Not that she could tell from the way my kids were screaming. So. Apparently, the drive-thru is terrifying. Not sure what to do about that...

2 comments:

JennaK said...

Isn't it kind of funny what frightens them when they are little? Eliza was terrified of balloons and then Caleb got a big Spider-man punching bag from his aunt for his 4th birthday but we couldn't ever get it out because Eliza would just scream and scream every time she saw it. And the first time she came with us to In-N-Out to see Corey, she was about 7 or 8 months old, and seeing him in his uniform totally freaked her out.

Scooby and Jon said...

Poor little brother!