Monday, April 28, 2014

I should really blog about Easter before I forget what happened...

 We had a nice Easter.  The kids were on Spring Break, so they got out of school early on Thursday.  Sort of.  The school did their earthquake evacuation drill.  I was thinking it was great that my kids school got to participate in not just the earthquake drill, but practicing evacuating.  It's so good for them to be as prepared as possible for this stuff.  Little sister had her apprehensions, but she didn't voice them to us.  She did tell her friend's mom, who was kind enough to inform me on Tuesday night.  (She was hoping to throw up the morning of the drill so she wouldn't have to go.)  We had a long chat, where I discovered she has a bit of PTSD from getting lost after the Fun Run in Kindergarten.  She was terrified that she'd get lost during the evacuation.  Can't blame her for that, can I.  I told her that her teacher would keep track of her and nothing bad would happen.  Daddy gave her a blessing, and she was calm...er.  She was still very nervous.  I e-mailed her teacher to just give her a heads up.  I love this teacher.  She immediately responded that she'd had her class practice getting under the desks and she had noticed that little sister was big-eyed and tearful.  So this fantastic teacher had already planned to have little sister hide under the teachers' desk with her and had already determined that she would hold little sister's hand the whole time.  Seriously love her.  Little sister was still nervous, but went to school very bravely.  She did AWESOME!  I gave her earmuffs to block out the noise, and after she discovered it wasn't that bad, she removed them.  I gave her a picture of the family with a note from me on the back, and that helped keep her calm.  She told her teacher "I think I can line up without help."  And she did!  Huge for her.  The teacher held her hand while they went to the bus, and when they got to the high school.  She emailed me that day and told me how proud she was of little sister for facing her fears!  I am pretty proud, too!  Their class was on the news that night, and little sister was front and center.  At the beginning, you can see her teacher motion for little sister to join her under the big teacher's table, and a yellow shirt go past.  That is our little sister.  Then you'll see she's the little girl with braids, a yellow shirt and backpack and purple jacket.  Big thanks to Grandpa for recording it for us - we didn't realize that she'd be on the news report so prominently!

The Easter bunny came Thursday night because Daddy had to work Saturday.  I know.  Lame that the kids were off for a long weekend and Daddy had to work.  Such is the life of a pharmacist!  Friday morning the kiddos woke up and were thrilled to find all their candy.  Love these cuties.
 Dyeing Easter eggs.  Little sister is showing the hole in her mouth where she lost another tooth!
 Friday night, we did a nice dinner with just our family.  Honeybaked ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans and sparkling apple cider.  The kids loved that!  We talked about why we celebrate Easter and watched an Easter video.  There was such a lovely spirit in our home when all the kiddos cuddled together for bed.  
On Saturday, Daddy headed to work.  We ended up having an impromptu lunch with my parents and sisters.  The kids liked playing with their cousins and eating leftover ham and caramel apple cinnamon rolls.  Yummmm.  

I didn't really get Easter clothes for the kids this year.  They pretty much all had church clothes already, so I didn't see the point in spending money on that.  Here they are, all dressed up for church!
This last weekend I picked up Kylie May from BYU for the last time.  It felt a little deja vu-ish.  We loaded all her stuff in the van and I drove her home to Reno while Awesome Husband stayed home with the kiddos.  It was a fun road trip, despite 5 hours of rain on the way out.  I'll sure miss seeing my baby Ky on Sundays, and big brother will, too!  When I got there, I called home to let them know I had made it safely and nobody was home.  When I called later, Husband said he'd taken the kids on a bike ride to the park.  Such a good daddy.  He'd also taken Big brother to his field trip at Wheeler Farm that morning, with little brother tagging along.  I'm told big brother did great!  I think daddy gets to do all the field trips from now on.  Friday night, I hung out with my nieces and nephew and then went to dinner with Shaye and Brodie and my besty from high school Traci.  It was soo good to visit with them!  Saturday I turned around and drove all the way home.  That's a lot of driving in 2 days folks.  Over 1,000 miles.  But on the way home I plugged in the most recent General Conference and listened to that the whole way home.  With our concrete being done the weekend of Conference, I hadn't really been able to listen when it was on.  It was so nice to listen to the whole thing without kiddos interrupting, and it made the trip go pretty fast.  It sure was good to get home, though!


No comments: