Last year I decided that I had neglected my girls swimming education. Probably because there wasn't really a pool close to us until last year. So I signed them up for swimming lessons, level 1. It was a total waste of money. They had a different teacher every week, so there was no continuity to the lessons. Twice, the teacher showed up 10 minutes late. I don't think they ever really had someone to teach the class, they just begged people at the last minute. There was also a 10-year-old girl in the class who thought it was fun to splash my girls the entire time. At the end, they passed my kids off on a bunch of things that they couldn't actually do. I decided private lessons would be more cost effective. The rec center gave me a list of people to contact that do private lessons. I have called/left messages and/or texted every single person on the list. Nobody will answer or respond! I really want my girls to know how to swim! Anybody around here know of somebody that teaches private lessons? I'm getting seriously frustrated!
4 comments:
Oh yeah, she goes to a different center and is booked months in advance, esp. in the summer. Good luck!
What can your girls do? Nate and I taught lessons for years as well as worked at quite a few pools in the area, so maybe I can give you some pointers. Also where exactly do you live, I can at least tell you where some of the better pools to take lessons where. You can email me @ dordy_@hotmail.com or pm me on facebook if you want.
As far as generic advice, I usually tell people that lessons aren't really worth the money until your around a level 3 (red cross level-they can vary by pool), unless your kid (or you) is petrified of water. Before that you can do just as much just by taking your kids to the pool and doing a few simple things with them (anyone can do, no teaching experience required) and they will figure a lot out on their own. Plus it is usually a lot cheaper.
My kids didn't take lessons until last year and that was mostly because we were in Utah and had a new baby and they needed something to do to pass the time. Hope this helps.
I don't know about private lessons but we have done lessons at the South County pool every summer and they've done a great job. Plus, the more you take your kids swimming, the more they'll naturally learn how to do it. When we lived in Arizona, Travis was swimming by himself, face in the water and everything, by the age of two just because I took the kids to the pool every day. I make it a point here to get a membership to the South County pool for at least one month, if not two, in the summer and take them every day if possible.
I hope you expressed your concerns about the swimming program over at the rec center to let them know their teachers were sub-par.
Yes! Debbie Dolphin’s
2252 West Bonanza Ct.
(10155 South)
South Jordan, Utah 84095
801-254-1610
Owners: Gary and Debbie Kroll
We LOVE Gary and Debbie. We have gone to them since we moved out here 4 years ago. They are RedCross Certified. Awesome program!!
Post a Comment