Tuesday, May 3, 2011

More big sister stuff

Last Friday we got to head over to big sister's school to watch her receive the "Principal's Pride" award. Apparently the whole school works on different things each month and one person from each class is chosen to get an award for being exemplary in that particular attribute. This month was respect. I have to admit, I have a little more pride about this one than I would have had probably any other month. Respect is one thing that I really have tried to pound into my kiddos little heads. So to have my daughter receive an award for having respect made me feel like I just might be doing something right! Those moments are few and far between, people! So I'll take 'em when they come! She got a certificate and a medal and was very proud of herself. She loved that her family all came out to support her. We stayed for the "birds of prey" assembly afterward. Little sister and big brother were very fascinated by the hawk they let fly around the room. Here is the only picture of big sister that didn't have other people's kids in it or her certificate (I didn't want to post her full name on here, of course). She and Daddy have very blue eyes, eh?


In other big sister news, we finished our Book of Mormon challenge Saturday night. This was not easy, since we still had 2 chapters of Ether and all of Moroni left to read. But little sister stayed focused and really seemed to soak it all in. We read the verse in Moroni where he challenges us to pray and ask to know if it is true, and big sister asked if we could do that. I told her that of course we would. By the time we finished the last verse, she said that she already knew it was true. We knelt and prayed together, and when we finished she said that she had a warm feeling in her heart. She said she felt like she knew she had her own testimony. Awesome, my friends. Just awesome to watch my sweet almost-7-year-old have the desire and ability to complete this challenge and to gain her own testimony of it. That was my entire goal behind doing this challenge with her. She bore her testimony in church the next day. She was nervous to go up all by herself in front of all those people, but she did it. And brought her mommy to tears in the process! She is mature beyond her years most of the time, and I am amazed at how much she understands at such a young age. We sure like her around here!

2 comments:

Harris House said...

It's official! Your little girl HAS to marry my son! And that's all there is to it.

Tawny Hawkins said...

What a wonderful granddaughter I have -- and she has a wonderful mother! You both warm my heart.