I am not sure who stuck the quarter in my kids yesterday before church, but they were little hooligans during Sacrament Meeting. Little Sister and Big Brother especially. Big brother was squirmy and whiny and kept trying to leave town. Fortunately, big sister was very good at retrieving him before he got too far. Little sister was bouncing around like a rubber ball. After a while, Daddy put her on his lap. She continued to giggle uncontrollably, and kept turning herself upside down and flashing her tights at everyone. It was a fun wrestling match. At home, when she's acting up, I ask if she needs to go sit on her bed. She understands exactly what that means, and will usually calm right down and stop whatever bad behavior she's participating in. So I will threaten her in public with that one, too, 'cuz it's the only thing that works. Plus, I am one of those mean moms that really would leave the shopping cart and take her home if she won't knock it off. So I used that one yesterday. I asked if she needed to go sit on her bed. She got very serious and stopped wriggling and said "No, thank you." I thought I'd done it! Until Husband bursts out laughing. Which of course sets little sister off and she's right back to her giggle/wiggle fit. I glared at him and told him that was Not. Helpful. He just kept laughing and told me it was ridiculous to threaten her with something I wouldn't do. I informed him that I was perfectly willing to taker her home and stick her on her bed. So I asked little sister again if she needed to go sit on her bed, thinking that husband might be of some help now. Nope. He lost it again. And therefore, so did little sister. And, I will admit, I started laughing so hard tears were streaming. So I gave up. So sorry to those sitting around us yesterday! Next time we'll leave our animals at home with a Zoo Keeper!
2 comments:
Laughing laughing laughing! You remind me of the time your namesake Grandma Shirley lost it while I was trying to tell your big sister that WE DON'T LAUGH DURING PRAYERS! And as you know, ever after, nobody in our family ever so much as began to snicker during a family prayer. (giggle, giggle, giggle!)
It's sometimes hard to strike a balance between teaching kids to be reverent and teaching them to love the gospel.
Post a Comment