I still haven't told you about girls camp! It was a blast. We were supposed to leave Tuesday morning. The beehives asked me and the other beehive advisor to do little braids on everyone. Note to self - next year that is an afternoon activity. Holy Hannah it took forever! We figured we'd do like a braiding train and each girl could braid the hair of the girl in front of them. LOL we are so naive. Half of them didn't know how to braid. And our cute ginger with ridiculously thick hair ended up with random braids all over and we had to redo it. It was 10:30 by the time we finished and I still had to pack. Oy. Oh, well. The girls that I did loved it and kept it in all week. One particular girl struggles with feeling like she belongs, and she came! It was great to chat with her and get to know her while she was stuck sitting by my feet while I braided away.
All but two of our beehives made it to camp. 15 of them total. Whew! No pressure for this advisor, right? LOL Our YW pres did a great job at combating the problems that usually come up - she had already made lists of who would be in which tent/car etc. The girls did a FANTASTIC job including everyone. I had to drive the truck to haul gear and firewood and stuff, and the road up to the camp was narrow and super steep. Gah. Sister Beck does not like heights! Because of all our activities, I drove that stupid loop 6 times during the week. I'm basically a pro now. We had to set up extra tents because some of the girls brought so much stuff or such huge mattress pads. The motto for next year will be along the lines of "This is not a princess camp". Haha We got everyone settled and the last tent set up just as the rain started. Our Camp leaders were super smart and booked a place with a HUGE pavillion. There was a firepit right in the middles, so even with the rain we could all gather and sit by a roaring fire. Fantastic. Instead of camp crafts, we did camp service projects. 'cuz we're Embarking in the Service of God. They tied blankets for teenagers at Primary Children's one day and decorated boxes for food delivery to homebound people the next. The last day they did thank you notes to all the people who helped with camp. Our camp was a "cruise" on the Royal Generation Cruise Line to different destinations. First day was Hawaii. The 4th years were already there and gave everyone a lei as they arrived. Hawaiian haystacks for dinner - YUM! We had a couple awkward (for the leaders) moments where we noticed some girls hanging out all alone. We pointed it out to our YCL's and they were super good to make sure everyone got included. No problems the rest of the week.
Day 2 we were supposed to go boating. Oh, man I was so excited for this! I haven't gone boating in at least 2 years! We woke up to more rain and it was COLD. like I'm changing into my suit and putting on freezing cold sunscreen and wondering why in the heck I'm doing this to myself? And driving that narrow road in the rain in my big truck and with cyclists everywhere (Seriously!!!) was fraying my nerves a bit. IT was raining at Deer Creek, but the wind wasn't blowing so we were all go for tubing. We had 3 boats and they just came back in and traded loads every 25 minutes so everyone got a turn. These girls had a blast. Turns out that despite the outside temp being only 67, the water was like 76 degrees. So it actually felt good to get in! After 1 1/2 hours, the sun came out. We let the girls stay longer than our plan since it had finally warmed up. We had a couple girls fly off the tube and one got a concussion. No crazy driving, they just bounced and then hit another wave at just the right angle. Darn it. But testimony builder - the priesthood brethren gave her a blessing and she bore her testimony the last night that she felt the spirit so strong through the whole experience! Love it. Big sister's 2 friends begged me to go on the tube with them and they were shocked that I went. I think I was the only leader that did. I got my cool points. I told Jake & Traci this when they were here and Jake told me I wasn't cool, I was just doing what I'd grown up doing. I said I know that and you know that, but my beehives didn't know that! LOL
Day 2 was also Italy. We have a couple in our ward that served in Italy at the same time. So we had our spaghetti dinner and then they talked to us about their mission. (Funny note - she HATED him when they were in Italy. It was actually a few years later at a reunion that she even talked to him without despising him and discovered that what she hated him for was a remark that he made sarcastically and she just didn't know he was being sarcastic.) They talked about the people and miracles that have happened there. For example, the temple in Italy. They are so into history that they have a team that goes through the land for any new development. if there's even a piece of broken crockery, it's deemed historical and you can't build there. The parcel of land the temple sits on is 11 acres - it'll house a stake center and a visitor center, too. They held a special fast and asked for prayers before the historical people went through. They didn't find a single thing. Italy has existed for thousands of years and they found nothing on that parcel of land. The Lord knows what he's doing and sees the end from the beginning, right? Anyway, we put the girls to bed a little early 'cuz everyone was tired. I was just collecting the last of the treat buckets to put in my truck and the sky just lit up. I have never seen lightning like that in my life! Everytime the light hit, you could see the wall of rain that was coming. We were racing to get into our tents before it hit. Just as it hit, we had a few scared girls running from tents. We called to the Bishop and he somehow heard us and came running. I knew my little first years would be freaked, and so me, the YW pres and the bishop put on our ponchos and headed out in the rain to check on everyone. I have NEVER seen rain like this in my entire life! Holy crap! I was soaked in seconds. We ended up with a couple flooded tents, so we had to reorganize in the rain. It hadn't let up and most of the girls were fine, but our scared girls were sitting under the pavillion. So we hung out for a bit. Those are the moments that make camp memorable, right? I had to use the bathroom and there was a thick mist coming off the blacktop. Gah, it was like being in a horror movie and I hate those. We finally went to bed late and I slept so good!
Day 3 was Mexico. We went down the Mountain to hike to Timpanogas cave. They split us into 3 groups - they only allow so many people in the cave at a time so we had 3 different hiking groups. I went with the first group with 2 other leaders. At the top we waited for our tour in the cave and the 2nd group caught up to us. The bishop pulled me aside - his daughter wasn't feeling good and he wanted to trade me spots so he could go with her in the 1st group. Which worked out because about 2 minutes into the cave she threw up and her dad was there to A. help her and B. carry the bag with her vomit back down the mountain. The guide for the 2nd group came up to us and it took me a minute but I finally realized I knew her! She was in Husband's childhood ward and we'd gone to that freezing cold BYU game back in November with her and her husband. When I told her who I was, she was so excited! This woman is a riot. She does the cave tours in the summer and she and her husband teach people how to ski in the winter. Awesome life, right? That's living your dreams right there. Anyway, she gave my girls a 5 minute talk on how awesome Husband's dad (or "Bishop Beck" as everyone in that ward calls him still) is and then how awesome Husband is. It was funny. And THEN, because she knew me and knew we were there for girls camp, she asked if I would mind not telling her boss if she threw some gospel references into the tour. I told her I'd love it if she would. No coincidences, my friends. She taught some amazing gospel principles in that cave that sunk in because of the object lesson we were standing in. At one point, they turn out all the lights to show how dark it is. Freaky freaky! But. Nancy told these girls that this is how the rest of the world sees, and they don't even know it. She told them that they not only have the light, but are the light and it's up to them to show the world. It. Was. Awesome. I was so glad I'd gone with the 2nd group and that Nancy felt comfortable altering her normal tour routine to teach these girls who they are. Testimony meeting later showed how much that had built testimonies! Awesome awesome.
We did homemade (or campmade) cafe rio for dinner that night and then we did the skits. We leaders found one online where these 6th grade boys dressed up in swimming gear and did synchronized swimming behind a blue tarp as their "water." So we bought ridiculous shower caps, all wore goggles, put our swimsuits on over our clothes and performed our synchronized swimming. We looked RIDICULOUS! And they had to hold the tarp down low when we were on our backs doing our leg stuff because my legs are so short nobody could see them over the tarp at everyone else's level. The YCL's impersonated the leaders during their skit - they made fun of me for my addiction to vanilla coke and the secret stash I kept in my truck. LOL guilty, but I don't actually feel guilty about it! haha! They then gave out awards. I got the "Where's the driver?" award. Because I drove that big truck all over the place and I'm so short and you can't really tell I'm in there, apparently. I had to call my bro-in-law and thank him for teaching me to drive a truck all those years ago - he made my award possible! LOl
Testimony meeting is always the best, right? It was a good one. I really felt my testimony grow that week. I ended up going last. Not my idea, but when the Bishop got up and said just a couple more, my heart was going crazy so there we are, right? Just the week before, our YW secretary had used me as a sort of object lesson for her sunday lesson. She talked about how when she met me she thought I had this perfect life and how she was always telling her husband that she wanted to be like the us when they grew up. lol Anyway, she talked about how she now knows me better and knows that I don't have the perfect life she thought I had. It was a good lesson. So during the week I was thinking about how from outward appearances it does look pretty picture perfect. I told the girls that I did have it pretty good as far as temporal things go. I said that God had chosen to give me less obvious challenges. Anyway. I talked about how I still have questions. I still don't have satisfactory answers to all my questions about how things will all work out. But I told them that I have had too many faith building moments and experiences to deny that the church is true, and that is enough. I know that it will all work out someday and that God will make everything right. I don't know how, but I don't have to know how. I can doubt my doubt's before I doubt my faith. I'm not perfect. Sometimes I struggle to get out of bed in the morning, and I stay up way too late, and I yell at my kids or forget things, or say things I shouldn't to others. I am flawed, but I am trying and that is all I can do for myself. The rest has already been made up by my Savior, and I just have to remember to rely on Him.
We went home the next day tired and dirty and happy. It was so good to see my family after 3 days away - longest I've been away from those kiddos!
Me and Nancy after the hike
The view of the valley from the hike
So Jake & Traci came into town the week after girls camp. They got
here on a Wednesday. The kids and I met up with them at City Creek (the mall
across from Temple Square). We went to Kneaders for lunch. We left
Jake with the kids for a minute while Traci and I got all the food.
Jake jokes that he's not ready for the responsibility of 6 kids. He was
in the middle of telling the boys to wait to open their chocolate milk
until I got back to the table when he heard a thump. little sister's chocolate
milk was open and spilling everywhere. LOL Anyway. We made it through
lunch and then headed over to temple square. We toured the beehive
house (one of Brigham Young's homes), and then we walked around the
grounds. We went into the visitors centers and the kids were having a
blast looking at all the exhibits. They loved the statue of the
Christus. We went home and had a yummy BBQ chicken dinner. The next
day after I taught a piano lesson we headed up to the Zoo. The kids had
a blast looking at all the animals. Jake & Traci took a pic of me
and the kids and you wouldn't know that they had a good time by looking
at the picture. Goobers. When we'd had enough and it was getting
really hot, we headed back to our place. We stopped to get icee's at
the gas station near our house. Cost us as much for 10 icee's there as
it would've for 2 at the Zoo. We are smart parents! That night it was
tri-tip and potatoes for dinner, plus a little phase 10 after the kids
went to bed. I think I won for the first time in my life. Friday husband
and I actually had a camping trip planned with his family, and Jake
& Traci were going to a water park with Traci's family. It was nice
of them to watch the house for us! ;) We got packed up for camping
and headed up. It was perfect! Cold, it was actually the lowest high
temperature on record for July in the canyon. So we definitely used
extra blankets and socks. Wish we would've had hot chocolate! And it
rained. We went up to Silver Lake with the kids and husband's brother,
dad, sister and her family. Glad we had umbrellas. It only rained for
about 5 minutes, then it was beautiful and sunshiney. It was a fun hike
- we saw a mama duck with some new fluffy babies. (They're so fluffy
I'm gonna die!!!) We went back to camp and enjoyed our tinfoil dinners,
s'mores, and roasted starbursts. The kids slept well and in the
morning they were up with the sun, bright and early. We got the
pancakes and sausage going and husband had to build a good fire 'cuz the
kids were cold. They enjoyed going exploring with Grandma. Our campsite
was perfect - surrounded by a beautiful little meadow full of pretty
yellow flowers and then there were little trails heading off into the
trees with plenty of huge rocks to climb on and explore. Kid heaven!
We headed home in the afternoon and unpacked. Husband took a nap for a
bit while I tried to plan my YW lesson. Jake & Traci came back and
we all got ready to go to Cafe Rio for date night. We had a blast.
Tiffany watched the kids in exchange for a pork burrito. haha! We
talked and laughed and laughed and talked. I'm seriously so lucky that
my two best friends from high school married each other! The kids
became fast friends - big brother and J&T's son were so cute together, and Big sister & their daughter (while they took a while to warm up) became like siamese twins.
After we came home Husband went to bed 'cuz he had a long week of
working and camping - he was worn out! I stayed up with Jake &
Traci to play phase 10 and we taught Tiffany how to play. We learned
that Tiffany thinks puns are hilarious. As in Jake is counting out the
cards "Eight. Nine-er, Tenor...Bass!" Tiffany was laughing so hard she
was crying and her eye make up was leaving black streaks down her face.
Heehee! I should mention for posterity that Traci won that game by a
landslide. She claims she never wins, so there. It's recorded. It was
sad to say goodbye on Sunday - I miss them!
The following Monday we headed up to Lagoon. Big sister brought her bestie, and they had fun going on every big ride. Tiffany hung out with us and the little's for a bit. It was a nice cool day, perfect for walking around outside. Nobody got too hot. YAY! The 3 younger ones are all on the same level of tolerance for rides - they loved all the kiddie rides. Eventually Tiffany met up with big sister and her friend and they went on everything together. There's a new ride called Cannibal that looks INSANE! They went on that. Crazies. Tiffany and big sister also went on Catapult. The one where they strap you into a steel ball/cage thing and it's basically attached to rubber bands. They launch you up and it flings you up and down several times. Gah! According to big sister's friend, big sister makes funny faces when she's absolutely terrified. On the last ride of the night, wicked, Tiff lost her phone. Dang it! It took them a day to find it, so she had to go back up there to get it the next day. It was dead. The screen wasn't cracked, but it was separated from the phone so it wouldn't work. She took it to a place called Bad apple and they were able to put the guts of her phone into a different one. Tada. It was a bit of an ordeal for her, she's much more careful now. Lagoon had a bounce-back special, so we actually went back the next week. Tiffany didn't come 'cuz she went four-wheeling up in Idaho with her dad, gabe, courtney and grandpa. She had fun.
Tiffany had her
wisdom teeth removed this Tuesday. Our dentist did them and didn't
sedate her since they were already broken through. Laughing gas
helped. She wasn't loopy, and not really swollen. She did pretty good!
The kiddos at city creek
Big brother lost a tooth the day before! Most kids get super excited. He had no idea what was going on. Joys of communication delay!
My kids and my friends kids at the statue of the Christus
At the zoo - I swear we had fun!
Watching the otters or the sea lion - can't remember which!
Cute duckies on our hike at Silver Lake
It was cold in the morning!
Big sister and husband's parents
big brother
little sister
big brother LOVED the watermelon grandma brought!
little sister playing Grandpa's favorite game - Uno! Watch out, she's a skilled player and she laughs wickedly whenever she puts down a trick card!
I love these people SO much!
little brother driving the cars at Lagoon - he took it so seriously
Little sister and big brother were happy to hang out together
Kiddie rides!
These 2.
Big brother was thrilled to find the splash pad - he still loves these things!
Daddy and little sister on a big-ish ride - dad had enough spinning after this one!
Catapult
Waiting for catapult - crazies!
The 24th Husband had to work, so we kept it low key. He brought home fireworks so our kids could walk around with sticks lit on fire. We're such responsible parents!
We just had a small BBQ with just our family since Daddy had to work and was worn out. Fireworks and then off to bed! Notice daddy's torch - only way to light them!
No apricots this year, but our peach tree FINALLY gave us delicious peaches!!!!
We went on a little (seriously. Little) hike to Lisa Falls. The kids loved it!
Daddy, big brother, little sister
Mommy and little brother
Crazy daddy climbing the rocks
My boys
You can't tell, but they are at the top of the rock that husband was climbing in the other picture. CRAZIES!
Little brother - this is his "real" smile. (no it's not)
Tiffany ready to get those wisdom teeth out!
All done! She was so numb she said she couldn't feel her eyeball. Better too numb than not enough numb, though! She was a trooper!
Husband's birthday was Friday, and the kids requested to go bowling to celebrate. They had so much fun!
It's been big brother's prayer to go bowling for a month now. He was thrilled. My siste rtook the kids that evening and Husband and I went and saw Ant-Man. That was fun. We then proved that we're getting old by going to chuck-a-rama for dinner. and it was delicious! Hit the spot, I'll tell you!
Plus a couple extras - little brother on the carousel:
And little brother peeking out from his blanket-tent while camping. He gets cold fast!












































No comments:
Post a Comment