Saturday, April 4, 2015

Let's catch up

What we've been up to lately
 My sister and I have been taking turns going up to Logan once a week to help our niece after she had her baby.  When my sister goes up, I get her kiddos for the day.  These two are such good friends!
 Caught literally red-handed.  Eating the Valentines cake a guy from Daddy's work brought us. 
 Valentines is not a romantic affair around here.  It's a family day.  We had pancakes in the morning, of course, followed by mommy and daddy going for a short date.  Then dad took the boys out on a date and mommy took the girls out on a date.  Perfect.
 The girls got to go to the Activity Days daddy/daughter dance.  Unfortunately, daddy had to work that night...
 Fortunately Grandpa is the next best thing!  And he already owns a western get-up, so that worked out pretty well.  They had a fantastic time.  Little sister was especially happy that she got to go since she was technically 6 days away from turning 8.  I'm glad they let her go, she absolutely loved it!
 And our little sister turns 8!  Wow that went by fast.  She went to IHOP with Daddy for breakfast, then we took her to the mall to get her ears pierced.  Hot dog on a stick for lunch, of course.  And she requested pancakes for dinner.  The cake and ice cream had to wait because big sister had the maturation program at the school to go to with mom.  (How on earth did I get a child old enough for that?) 
 Family Movie Night.  We bought Big Hero 6.  Afterward, the kids got into a huge pillow fight. 
 Hanging out in Logan with this cutie!  My niece's baby is so precious!
We had kindergarten orientation for big brother.  He was not excited, but did ok when I dropped him off this time.  Having done this last year, I fortunately knew the drill this time.  It was interesting to sit and listen to the list of things they should be able to do in order to be ready for Kindergarten.  Last year this list was just depressing.  This year I felt like he's got most of it in the bag.  What a difference the speech therapy and a year has made.  He still struggles with his confidence, but he has more of that than he did.  Plus I think he will always be very naturally shy.  With the increased understanding he's gained has also come an understanding that he's not the same as everyone else.  *sigh* That one breaks my heart.  But he is still cheerfully persevering.

He had a meltdown in Primary last week.  They were doing a little bowling game to choose the songs for singing time.  I've been filling in as the pianist for a few weeks.  Big brother got called first and his face lit up for a split second and then fell completely.  I couldn't figure it out.  The kid LOVES bowling!  When we go to the cabin, he would do that all the time if we'd let him.  The chorister asked me if she should push it, and I asked him "Don't you want to bowl?  You love bowling!"  He lost it and started to cry.  Ugh.  Have I mentioned I hate that part of the whole communication delay thing?  His sweet teacher finally told him he could come sit by me.  That helped and I calmed him down.  He didn't want to go back to sit with his class, but I finally convinced him he could see better if he wasn't behind the piano.  I finally figured out that the problem was that his name was called first.  He saw bowling, but didn't understand what was going on because nobody else had gone before him and demonstrated.  That is big for him - seeing what others do helps him figure it out if he doesn't understand.  So going first is no bueno.  I should've figured that out sooner.  Anyway.  I felt terrible that he'd had a bad experience.  The kids have been off track and we wanted to do something fun, so we went bowling!  They all LOVED it.  Middle of the day and nobody else was there, which is always a bonus for me.  Big brother now says he wants to go bowling about 15 times a day.  So glad he feels better about that.  I think...
In other news, everyone except mommy and big brother got a nasty cold a couple weeks ago.  We own 3 humidifiers, but the girls had to sleep together because they both needed a humidifier and they were all being used.  Oy.  I guess it's okay they did this while they were off track so they didn't miss school. Yay?  We also got a lovely round of pink eye.  When little sister and little brother showed signs of it, I treated everyone just so we wouldn't reshare it over and over again.  Unfortunately we forgot to have husband do it, as well.  He ended up getting it just as the kids were done with the antibiotics.  On top of which, he got hit extra hard with the cold.  He felt horrible around the middle of the week, but had to work the weekend.  He felt okay to do Saturday, and made it through the day all right.  He sells all his Sunday shifts, so that was covered already.  Thank goodness.  He barely slept all night Saturday night - sore throat and cough.  Sunday morning he called in sick for his church meetings and went to Instacare.  They told him it was viral, so nothing they could do.  But they did give him a lidocaine mouth wash so that the pain in his throat would lesson and allow him to sleep.  He came home and slept almost the entire rest of the day.  I went and got his prescription filled.  Fortunately, his co-workers know him very well, and knew that he would try to power through his Monday shift.  So they called around and got half of it covered.  Love those people.  Seriously.  Husband protested a bit, but he barely made it through the half shift.  He came home and slept the rest of the day.  Tuesday was no better, and that's when the pink eye started.  He had a Wednesday and a Thursday shift that week.  12 hour shifts every time he works.  I knew he shouldn't work, and knew he would do it anyway.  So I did a repeat of last year when he had pneumonia.  I texted his boss.  He completely understood and told me to put Husband on quarantine in his room and to tell him to get better.  His boss got his shifts covered and Voila!  He suddenly has a week to recover.  Which he badly needed.  He again tried to protest (I'm not that sick!), but when he woke up Wednesday morning  he thanked me for going around him and getting the shifts covered.  He still felt awful.  After a week of being home, mostly in bed, he was only slightly better.  The cough just didn't want to give up the ghost.  It's been about 3 weeks now and the cough still lingers but isn't sapping all his energy any more.  We think that last year's pneumonia bout has weakened his immune system.  I guess the bonus to everyone being sick at the same time is that we spent several days just sitting home watching movies (when daddy wasn't sleeping).  We watched all the Avenger movies - Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor.  The kids loved it.  I guess if we have to have sick people it's nice that it was all at the same time.  Family time is never a bad thing, right?

No comments: