Friday, March 29, 2013

Injuries, birthdays, funerals...LIFE

 It's usually big brother who gets the big injuries around here.  He had 2 concussions between November and December last year, poor kid.  A couple weeks ago, he climbed up one of the railings on the deck outside and (of course) fell over and landed on his back, hitting his head in the process.  I think we need to strap a helmet on him permanently.  Oy.  Big sister decided to take her turn with the injuries earlier this month.  She fell off her scooter and landed right on her face.  This picture was taken that night, the next day she was really swollen.  I had to go get her a smoothie for breakfast because she couldn't really eat.  One more reason I'm glad she's wearing contacts, though.  If she'd been wearing her glasses they would have shattered for sure!
 Little sister turned 6!!!  She was just a little excited.  She got to be queen of the week at school and wear a beautiful crown every day.  She gave cookies with yellow frosting to her classmates.  We even managed to get the kids' Christmas present set up that day:
 We put up a safety net after we let big brother test it.  The kids are loving it!  They jump every minute they can, and are sleeping so well at night.
 We had a family party for our sweet little miss.  She requested pizza, root beer and cupcakes.  She loved all her presents.  She was most thrilled with the kite she'd been requesting...
 And the American Girl doll that looks like her.  We offered to have a friend party, but she said all she wanted to do was go to McDonalds with her best friend.  Easy enough!  So we did that before kindergarten the day of her actual birthday and she was thrilled.  We sure love this little yellow ball of sunshine and fun!
 My boys.  They are starting to discover how much they like playing together.  Little brother may be little, but he can hold his own!  He loves to take things from big brother and run away.  Big brother usually can't catch him.  Big brother certainly does his share of taking things from little brother, so it evens out.  Haha!

Last weekend we had my grandmother's funeral.  It was a beautiful weekend.  ALL of my sisters were here!  We missed Summer's cute boys, but otherwise the whole family was there.  I spent the entire week beforehand trying to learn the piano part for the musical number, so I accomplished nothing else.  It did turn out beautiful, though.  I did have a hard time getting through it without getting choked up, so it's a good thing I didn't have to sing.  I have many wonderful memories of my grandmother, and it was so good to hear the memories that her younger siblings shared.  She was the oldest of 11, and was definitely the best big sister anybody could've asked for.  I loved hearing about how her sisters would borrow her clothes and then have hell to pay when she inevitably found out.  She would buy little treats and toys for her siblings out of her own money.  But my favorite of the memories shared was my Uncle Tom, who completely captured the sense of humor that she never lost.  He talked about going to Texas Roadhouse and putting the shells of his peanuts into her coat pockets.  When they went to leave, she put her hands in her coat pockets and said "Hells bells, what is this?"  She then proceeded to throw peanut shells into the car as she got in, then at Uncle Tom the whole ride home.  Haha!  It was snowing beautifully during the service, but the skies cleared and the sun came out just as we went to the grave.  A perfect day.  How I love my sweet grandmother!
 After the funeral, we came back to our place.  A small group of us took my niece on a very fast but  successful search for a modest prom dress.  Then we had a birthday party for big brother's favorite cousins.  So nice to have us all there!  Lots of laughing.

  After cake and ice cream, the men and Tiffany headed out to play some basketball.  They had fun, and only Husband and Jon got injured when they collided.  Jon now knows that Aaron's bony hips are dangerous if they hit you in the face - they'll knock you out!  After they got back, we went and got some takeout from Cafe Rio.  We sat around eating good food and laughing, laughing, laughing.  Shaye owes me about a dozen coke's from the number of times we said "JINX!  You owe me a coke!" over the weekend.  My girls think it's funny that we always know what the other is going to say.  I told them someday they will be best friends, too.  Sure love my family! 

And one more picture, just 'cuz this boy is funny.  He loves homemade bread.  He didn't want to wait for me to get it, so he cut some for himself.  He's becoming more and more independent.  The other day, he asked for a sippy cup.  I need to comply IMMEDIATELY when he does that. Otherwise, he will break into my bathroom, break the childproof lock on the cabinet, and attempt to use/drink nail polish remover. Fortunately, there was practically nothing left in the bottle to begin with, so if he swallowed any, it was a miniscule amount. He guzzled mama's water bottle and ate a peanut butter sandwich. Poison control called me back after an hour.  Since he wasn't acting drunk, they said he's fine. I may need to sell him to the gypsies now... GAH!  He also still loves to load/unload the dishwasher.  He frequently mixes the dirty and clean dishes, so I never really know what I'll find when I go to get dishes out.  We put a childproof lock on the dishwasher because that was driving me crazy.  He has learned how to unlock it.  He only goes after the dishwasher if I'm occupied or in the shower.  When I come out and tell him to get out, he will close it and then put the lock back on.  I think he's just rubbing it in!

1 comment:

Jim Hippen said...

In that picture of Mia with the American Doll, she looks like a clone of my sister. I had never realized how much she looks like her Grandma. What a cutie!