It's been awhile since I really updated what's going on around here. Most of you who actually read this pretty much know what we've been up to, but for journaling purposes, here's our catch up:
Husband and I celebrated our 8th anniversary on June 7th. Hooray! Since Husband is working a ridiculous schedule this month, he had no days off the weekend before or after our anniversary. So we celebrated Memorial Day Weekend. Grandma took the kids Friday night and we went up to the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Park City. It was heaven! We ate in the fancy Giltetrind restaurant. It was delicious! Aaron loved the cheese appetizer and his chocolate-peanut-butter-banana brulee. I really enjoyed the chocolate decadence, complete with raspberries. The room was very nice, and we ordered room service for breakfast, which was perfect. Probably the most money we have ever or will ever spend on breakfast, but totally worth it. We realized that we haven't gone away together since before big sister was born, so a getaway was much needed. On Saturday, we hit the outlet mall in Park City, went to lunch at The Garden in SLC, and then went to watch Iron Man 2. It was absolutely wonderful to be alone together for awhile!
Big sister also had her ballet recital this past weekend. she was beautiful! She remembered all her steps, and was even with the beat of the music most of the time. That is awesome for a 6-year-old! She was mainly distinguishable from the other girls by the fact that she has a farmer tan and is much darker than the other girls. She has inherited husbands/my ability to tan very easily! She loved her costume, but I was a bit ticked that this tiny piece of material cost me $50. Especially after I found out that they bought from a cheaper company this year, but still charged their standard for the costumes. So they made an extra $30 off of me by charging me for this flimsy little costume. Compared to last year's costume, it's downright pathetic. I must say I was also less impressed with the 2 1/2 hour program length, and big sister found it very boring to be back stage for that long. We actually left at the 2 hour mark, but we got there a half-hour early. They still had at least 30 minutes left on the program by the time we left. Ridiculous. We are going to a different place in the fall, which I think will be better for her. It's closer, cheaper, and all her friends from the neighborhood already go. She'll also learn more than just ballet, which I'm excited about.
On June 11th, my grandfather passed away. He was 89, and had lived in assisted living or a nursing home for 9+ years, so it was not a shock. It is nice that his trial in this life is over. His funeral was beautiful. Each of his children gave a short tribute, and all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren sang. It was SO good to have everyone all together! We take up a lot of space. It was funny to see all my cousins' children walking around, and feeling like I was seeing miniature versions of my cousins all over again! I am blessed to come from such wonderful family. It was funny to hear some of the stories that I'd never heard before. He was a man who didn't speak much, but you never doubted his love. He loved to tease, loved to watch sports. Apparently yelling at the tv during any sports game is genetic, since my own father does that, too! There was a color guard for my grandfather, who served in World War 2 under General Patton, and was in the Battle of the Bulge. 2 soldiers saluted him as we passed through 2 flags on the entrance to the cemetery lawn, and a 3rd played taps on a bugle. They folded the flag that had been draped on his coffin and presented it to my grandmother. It was a perfect tribute. I miss grandpa, and his teasing. Someday I will see him again, and I'm sure he will do plenty of teasing!

3 comments:
Not so long. Thanks for the update. I love keeping up with you and your little family.
It was nice reading an update & to see pictures of the kids. The post about your grandfather was sweet, too. I hope that you continue to have a nice summer.
I like when you write long posts.
Love, love, love the little tiny glasses.
Post a Comment