Thursday, January 30, 2014

Just keep swimming

Husband had a cough/cold thing going on before Christmas.  After we got back from spending New Year's with my sister, he seemed to have caught our niece's lovely illness as well.  He's been a trooper, just going to work as usual and not complaining.  It kept getting worse, though.  Saturday night, he was up basically the entire night.  He could. not. stop. coughing.  And not just an annoying cough, I kept expecting to see his lungs come bursting out of his chest.  Around 3:30am, I got up and checked the website for Instacare to see when they opened.  I also looked up the symptoms for pneumonia.  He had all of them.  So I went back to bed and told him that he was going in at 8am.  He went in and received the expected diagnosis, and was given his antibiotic and a cough medicine to help at night.  After spending Monday working, I knew his Wednesday and Thursday shifts needed to be covered.  Fortunately, his fabulous boss was very understanding when I asked him to cover the shifts for my husband.  He's stayed in bed Tuesday and Wednesday.  He's still not better.  Oy.  So back to the doctor we go today.  On top of which, little brother seems to have a lovely runny nose.  Then there's little sister.  She woke up on Martin Luther King day throwing up, and we kept her home from school Tuesday.  She wasn't acting that sick, just saying her throat hurt.  She's been on and off ibuprofen, but Tuesday night she said it really hurt.  I checked her throat and HEY!  looky there.  She's got white spots on the back of her throat.  So we took her in yesterday.  Strep test came back negative, but the doctor still prescribed antibiotics because she obviously has some kind of bacterial infection.  Oy to the vey.  I'm not usually one to complain about illness, but it is getting a bit ridiculous.  So.  Here's to the bright side.  Big sister got over her cough very fast, and big brother seems to be overcoming his as well.  My cough is just in the annoying phase, so I am getting better.  We are 2 minutes from our doctor's office, and he's a fantastic doctor.  We have good insurance and a job that allows us to pay for our medical expenses.  A warm and comfortable home that keeps us safe from the elements.  And we woke up to pretty, pretty snow this morning!  Good things.  Trying to keep positive.  Just keep swimming.

No comments: